Muziek van de maand: Fill your head with rock


Not a real 'album', not a song, but a sampler this time, and due to its origin, I'll do this in English, to the best of my abilities. This sampler of 1970 is one of my favorites. I don't have the album anymore, and it was actually my brothers', but it still conjures up images of an idyllic and innocent time, when I was a teenager and was only starting my musical dicovery. The first album I ever bought was Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells a Story, and I still think this music is awesome, not one single weak track, back in those days when Stewart was still relevant. Then came along the heavy stuff - Deep Purple in Rock, Led Zeppelin II, things like that. And then this sampler presented a gentler and broader sound. My favorite still is Gene Parsons' Gunga Din, by the Byrds. A song about social exclusion - 'got my leather jacket on, I hope they let me in' - but with so much gentleness, about having dinner with one's ma. Gene Parsons was drummer and guitarist, not related to that other Parsons, Gram. Last summer I was in Joshua Tree, and I couldn't stop thinking about Parsons' tragic, unnecessary death. Here is the songlist of this great sampler, a genre which was extinct before it caught on. Luckily now we have YouTube. Chicago - Listen Santana - Savour Spirit - Give A Life, Take A Life Steamhammer - Passing Through Blood, Sweat And Tears - Smiling Phases The Flock - Tired Of Waiting Black Widow - Come To The Sabbath Argent - Dance In The Smoke The Byrds - Gunga Din Skin Alley - Living In Sin Laura Nyro - Gibsom Street Leonard Cohen - You Know Who I Am Moondog - Stomping Ground Amory Kane - The Inbetween Man Trees - The Garden Of Jane Delawney Al Stewart - A Small Fruit Song Tom Rush - Driving Wheel Janis Joplin - Try (Just A Little Bit Harder) Al Kooper - One Room Country Shack Taj Mahal - Six Days On The Road Mike Bloomfield - Don't Think About It Baby Pacific Gas & Electric - Bluesbuster Johnny Winter - I Love Everybody

Comments

  1. Fantastische nostalgie, heeft voor de rest van mijn leven toch wel de smaak bepaald van mijn voorkeuren in de muziek.
    link:
    http://jasa-vibraciones.blogspot.com/search?q=fill+your

    mariner-keyes

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Met twee woorden spreken

(Niet) in de kaart spelen

"This is so funny."