Miles and Trane

 
Just look at that clip on YouTube. And listen, of course.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1hT2u1jwcs

Lately I was listening to some vibrant old music - music as old as I am, in fact. In the late 50ies the greatest jazz combo ever was formed: The Miles Davis Quintet. The nucleus was, of course, Davis and Coltrane, and what made them great was the harmony of those two completely different characters. "Miles the dresser, Miles the bon-vivant", with a flair for style and for all things commercial; and then Coltrane, the mystic who became one with the music he played.

But the sidekicks are first class too. In fact, this era was pivotal, and jazz would move into different directions afterwards. Miles heard the sound of the cash register and went electric, with Filles de Kilimanjaro, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew and more. A whole school was to follow. Coltrane formed the classic quartet and made unearthly great music. Free jazz crossed limits I did not want to cross, but the effort was genuine. Bill Evans made the most divine trio music at a later stage, uncomfortably as he was in any scene except this one, it seemed. Great drumming and bass playing too.
I first discovered Kind of Blue when I was about 17, when jazz rock was the hype among my friends, but I preferred the old stuff. Pure magic, A Leu Cha, Teo, Milestones, All Blues, All of You, So What... Listen to Freddy Freeloader breaking off by Miles whistling loud, mumbling hints to drop some chords to Julian Cannonball Adderley, it's like eavesdropping on history.
All this superbly packaged and documented by Columbia in a six disc set: Miles Davis and John Coltrane. The Complete Columbia Recordings 1955-1961. Dig it, as they would say in those days. In other words: Highly recommended. *****

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Met twee woorden spreken

(Niet) in de kaart spelen

"This is so funny."