Don't try to dig what we all say
Ouderdom maakt je mild. Maar ook een beetje blind.
The Who, dat was een vehikel van Pete Townshend, en, zoals dat past bij de Zeitgeist van toen, werd er wat afgeprotesteerd. Tegen wie of wat? Heel duidelijk was het niet, maar toch vooral tegen de ouderen. Die waren oud, koud en neerbuigend, ze beheersten de wereldzeeën, en stichtten een commonwealth. "Nowadays it's the old man, he's got all the money, and a young man ain't got nothin".
En wat doe je dan? Je ramt je gitaar door de luidsprekers en je laat het drumstel ontploffen. En je verdient daar grof geld mee.
En dan word je zelf oud. My Generation zingen gaat nog, met een knipoog, en je mijmert over de grootsheid van jouw generatie. Je had Mary Quant. Brittannia Rules! Vroeger was het beter. Vóór Engeland bij de EU was!
Hope I die before i get old? We onthouden vooral: Don't try to dig what we all say.
Roger Daltrey (The Mirror, 22 juni 2016), waarom hij een Brexit-kiezer is:
"We went into the Common Market in 1973. Do you know what was going on before we went in? It was the 1960s. The most exciting time ever - Britain was Swinging. Films, Theatre, Fashion, Art and Music. We were the World leaders. You had Harold Pinter, The Beatles, John Osborne, Mary Quant, The Stones, Queen... and The Who. This was all before we joined the EU. We were just kids but we were filling stadiums all round the World. Britain was the centre of the World. You got that because Britain was doing its own thing."
The Who, 1965
People try to put us d-down (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Just because we get around (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Things they do look awful c-c-cold (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I hope I die before I get old (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
This is my generation
This is my generation, baby
Why don't you all f-fade away (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
Don't try to dig what we all s-s-s-say (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm not trying to 'cause a big s-s-sensation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)
I'm just talkin' 'bout my g-g-g-generation (Talkin' 'bout my generation)


Comments
Post a Comment